Midwest Lindy Fest events are open to the public. Dance events, if you are new to them, may put you outside of your comfort zone. We do want you to push yourself, learn new things, and meet people who will challenge you in whatever corner of the arts you pursue. We also want our events to be safe and accepting spaces. All attendees, instructors, staff, and volunteers are required to comply with the following code of conduct.
- This environment is for everyone regardless of gender/gender identity, race, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, religion, or any other reason. We do not tolerate harassment of any kind, including continued, unwanted attention. If you harass someone, you may be asked to leave at our discretion.
- Don’t use misogynist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or racist language.
- Don’t treat our events like a pick-up joint. Our patrons do not represent a large pool of people for you to hit on. If you engage in this kind of behavior and make our patrons uncomfortable, we will ask you to leave.
- Whether you’re dancing, playing music, or finger painting, do not offer unsolicited advice to your fellow students and dancers. We have hired professionals for the event and would like them to be the instructional voices for the event.
- Giving advice is different from saying “I’m uncomfortable.” If you feel uncomfortable, please feel free to say so - either to your dance partner or to a staff member. If your dance partner makes a comment like this, please respect their feedback and adjust accordingly - ask an organizer or instructor if you are unsure how to do so.
- Generally behave like an adult human being. We welcome every lifestyle and every flavor of person, but please be aware that you are in a public space and act accordingly.
Should you have any harassment-related complaints, please bring your concerns to any member of Midwest Lindy Fest’s staff (Shawn, Kendra, Shane, Liz) or a volunteer at the main desk. We treat these issues with the strictest confidentiality. Your courage in coming forward can keep incidents from being repeated.
Underage consumption of alcohol during Midwest Lindy Fest is strictly prohibited and will result in immediate expulsion from the event. Additionally, any individual providing alcohol to minors will also be expelled from the event. We strongly encourage minors under 16 to have an accompanying parent or guardian - we are happy to waive admission if you are at the event to observe a minor.
This is adapted from codes of conduct by Mobtown Ballroom and Collectively Blue.